At a Glance
This week's SLIAC Game of the Week features Webster University at Eureka College, two teams in the thick of what is shaping up to be the tightest men's basketball race in conference history. Webster and Eureka are just two of six teams tied for fourth place in the SLIAC standings, while overall nine teams are within two games of each other in the standings. The game is set for Saturday, January 30th at 3 p.m. in Eureka, Illinois. You can watch the SLIAC Game of the Week HERE
Eureka is averaging 80.4 points per game, third in the SLIAC, while shooting 44.4 percent from the field. The Red Devils are one of the more dangerous long range shooting teams in the conference, averaging 8.0 three's per game and shooting 35.5 percent from three-point range as a team.
The Feehan brothers are a dangerous one-two punch for the Red Devils. Sam Feehan, a senior guard, is averaging 20.8 points per game while Shea Feehan, a freshman guard, is averaging 19.6 points per game. Both brothers are shooting above 43-percent from three-point range and are are not only one-two on the team in scoring but in the top three on the team in assists as well. Greg Kent, a senior guard, is a solid all-around performer averaging 8.4 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 5.4 assists per game. He also ranks third in the league in steals with 47.
The Gorloks are averaging 77.5 points per game this season, fifth in the league. They are shooting 45.4 percent from the field thanks to their strong inside game. The Gorloks rank last in the league in three's (4.7 per game) but are tops in the league in fewest turnovers.
Hunter Ward, a junior forward, is the team's leading scorer at 16.3 points per game. Ward is shooting 43.7 percent from the field and has shown the ability to step out and knock down a three, with a team leading 21 made three's this season. Ward is also averaging team highs in rebounds (8.5) and assists (3.5) per game. The aforementioned Moore is second on the team in scoring at 10.4 points per game and is shooting 50.7 percent from the field.
- Webster leads Eureka in the all-time series 12-7 including an 86-72 win earlier this season on January 4th in St. Louis, Mo.
- Saturday's match-up includes four SLIAC Player of the Week award winners from this season. Webster's Hunter Ward has won the award twice this season (Dec. 21 and Jan. 4) while Eureka's Greg Kent won on Dec. 7 and Sam Feehan won the most recent week.
- Eureka is looking for their fifth SLIAC Tournament appearance and first since 2013.
- Webster has made the SLIAC Tournament a league record 17 times.
- At the start of the week Eureka head coach Chip Wilde needs just one more win for his 100th as Red Devil head coach.