This week's St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Game of the Week is a women's soccer game between Fontbonne University and Webster University on Saturday, November 1 at Soccer Park.
This week's SLIAC Game of the Week puts the 2014 SLIAC women's soccer regular season title and an undefeated record on the line. Fontbonne and Webster start the week as the only remaining undefeated teams in the SLIAC with perfect 7-0 records and are tied for first in the standings. On the line is the top seed in the 2014 SLIAC Tournament and with that, hosting rights for the tournament.
Fontbonne is currently 15-2-1 overall and 7-0 in the SLIAC. The Griffins are on a conference best seven game winning streak and coming off back to back 1-0 wins last week. The Griffins have recorded three consecutive shutouts and have 12 shutouts on the year.
The Fontbonne defense has been stout all season, allowing just nine goals this year. Taylor Pulvirenti has made 44 saves with an .830 save percentage in just under 1440 minutes of action this season. Her 0.56 goals-against average leads the conference. Offensively the Griffins are led by Kelly Hobbs' 10 goals and seven assists. Hobbs has been the team's go to player as she also leads the team with six game winning goals. Ashlynn Reiter is second on the team with nine goals and 22 points while Paige Pffankuch leads the team with nine assists.
Webster is currently 10-4-3 overall and are 7-0 in conference play. The Gorloks have won six straight and are coming off a 3-0 win over Blackburn. After a tough start to the season, in which they went 2-3-3, the Gorloks have lost just one game in the last month.
The conference's top scoring team, with 60 goals this season, Webster has seven players with ten or more points this year. Leading the way is Kayla Dye with 24 points on eight goals and eight assists. Lindsey Adshade leads the conference in assists with 11 while Brianna Pagan is tied for the team lead in goals with eight. The Gorloks have had to split time in net because of injuries but the duo of Rachael Ainsworth and Jessica Davis have teamed up to form one of the top combos in the league.
- Webster leads the all-time series against Fontbonne 18-3 including winning the last three meetings.
- Fontbonne and Webster have combined to out score their conference opponents 77-2 this season.
- Fontbonne's 15 wins this season are tied for a program record.
- Webster has captured at least a share of the SLIAC regular season title in each of the last two years, tying with Fontbonne and Principia in 2012 and winning outright last year.
- Fontbonne's Kelly Hobbs is tied for second in the SLIAC with 10 goals while Webster's Lindsey Adshade leads the conference in assists with 11.