SLIAC Player of the Week - September 9th
The Saint Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference has announced its Player of the Week awards for the week of September 9th. This week's winners come from five different schools and include Corinne Coon, Sarah Litwiller, Wylie Mangelsdorf, Patrick McCaffrey, Jessica Mess, Jamie Schollenbruch, Logan Spencer and Ellen Woolsey.
MEN'S CROSS COUNTRY
Wylie Mangelsdorf (Principia College), a senior from Palmer, Alaska, was in late season form already as he competed in the 8K Hanover College Invitational. Mangelsdorf placed 7th in the race with a time of 26:17 while his 5:17 pace was just 8-seconds behind the leader.
WOMEN'S CROSS COUNTRY
Sarah Litwiller (Principia College), a junior from Concord, Calif., earns Runner of the Week honors this week after finishing in 6th in the Hanover College Invitational. Litwiller completed the 5K race in a time of 19:57, just 42-seconds behind the winner of the race. Her pace of 6:26 was just 13-seconds off the lead pace.
MEN'S SOCCER - OFFENSIVE
Patrick McCaffrey (Webster University), a senior from St. Louis, Mo., is this week's Player of the Week after tallying three goals in three games last week. McCaffrey scored a pair of game winning goals including the lone goal in a 1-0 win over Illinois College as well as adding his team's only goal, a late score with just 12-minutes left in regulation, in a 1-1 tie against Hendrix.
MEN'S SOCCER - DEFENSIVE
Logan Spencer (Spalding University), a sophomore from Henderson, Ky., helped his team to a 2-1 record on the week. Spencer recorded 22 saves in 280-minutes of action in the net and finished with a .846 save percentage. He stopped six saves in a win over Berea and added eight saves in each of his next two outings including an overtime win over Franklin.
WOMEN'S SOCCER - OFFENSIVE
Jessica Mess (Webster University), a sophomore from St. Louis, Mo., helped keep Webster undefeated with a two goal performance against DePauw (Ind.). The two goals marked her first multi-goal game and extended Webster's record to 5-0 on the year.
WOMEN'S SOCCER - DEFENSIVE
Ellen Woolsey (Westminster College), a freshman from Marshall, Mo., played all 180-minutes in net for the Blue Jays this week, recording one shutout and 20 saves with a save percentage of 87-percent. Woolsey blanked Ozarks with eight saves in a 3-0 win and followed with a 12 save performance against Illinois College. On the week she stopped 12 of 15 shots faced and had a 1.50 goals-against average.
Corinne Coon (Greenville College), a senior from Warsaw, Ill., is this week's Volleyball Offensive Player of the Week. Coon led the Panthers to an undefeated week, going 4-0. On the week Coon hit .402 with 48 kills in 97 attempts. She averaged 4.0 kills and 4.7 points per set this week. Coon recorded 21 kills in a 3-0 win over Rose-Hulman. She also added five service aces on the week.
Jamie Schollenbruch (Greenville College), a sophomore from Decatur, Ill., is the Defensive Player of the Week. Schollenbruch averaged 5.92 digs per set this week including two performances in which she recorded over 20 digs. She finished with 20 digs in a three set win over Benedictine and followed with a 26 dig performance against Rose-Hulman. In that same match Schollenbruch added three service aces and finished the week with 77 digs in 13 sets.
- Kesli Blankenship, Sr., Eureka (Women's Soccer) Blankenship broke her own school record for assists in a game with a four assist performance against Finlandia.
- Sam Kersting, Jr., Webster (Volleyball) In four matches Kersting recorded 32 kills and 22 blocks including an 11 block performance against Rose-Hulman; earning All-Tournament honors.
- Latayisah Ousley, So., Westminster (Women's Soccer) Ousley notched two goals in her team's 3-0 win over Ozarks last week.
- Tess Roundtree, Jr., Principia (Volleyball) Roundtree recorded 62 kills and 67 digs in four matches last week, with a double-double in kills and digs in each match.
- Tori Smith, Fr., Spalding (Women's Soccer) Smith scored two goals in her collegiate debut helping Spalding to a 4-3 win in their 2013 season opener.
- Justin Williams, Sr., Fontbonne (Men's Soccer) Williams scored his team's only two goals in a draw last week against Lindenwood-Belleville.