The St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC) Game of the Week is a weekly feature that highlights a key match-up in the conference. This week's SLIAC Game of the Week is the women's soccer game between Principia College and Webster University in St. Louis tonight, October 12.
Game at a
Webster and Principia will square off in a battle of two of the most successful programs in SLIAC Women's Soccer history. Together the programs have won or shared in 18 league titles including every season since 1999. Webster enters the game 11-2 overall and 3-0 in conference play and are in second place with nine points. Principia comes into the game with a 4-6-1 overall mark but are 2-1 in the SLIAC and tied for fourth place in the standings with six points.
About the Panthers
Principia is 2-2-1 in their last five games and are coming off a 3-2 loss to Spalding last weekend. The Panthers have scored 24 goals this season, ranking them 6th in the SLIAC while their defense has allowed the fourth fewest goals in the league. The duo of Hayley Cooke and Hayley MacWilliams pace the Panther attack. Cooke leads the team with 12 points on five goals and two assists while MacWilliams has recorded 11 points on five goals and one assist. Murilla King has played nearly every minute in net recording over 900 minutes of action. During that time she has made 45 saves and recorded two shutouts.
About the Gorloks
Webster is riding a three game winning streak with all three wins by way of a shutout. Over those three games they have outscored their opponents 17-0. Webster starts the week tied for the league lead in goals scored with 48 and ranks 15th nationally in goals per game. Their defense is just as strong, allowing a league low eight goals and ranking 25th nationally in shutout percentage. The Gorloks have a balanced scoring attack with six players having double digits in total points. Leading the way is Ashley Mess with seven goals and three assists. Kristin Montgomery leads the team with eight assists while adding four goals with Ally Nikolaus second on the team in goals with six. In net Jessica Davis has stopped 28 shots with a .824 save percentage while recording four shutouts.
- Webster is just one of two remaining undefeated teams in the SLIAC.
- Principia has claimed at least a share of the SLIAC regular season title for six consecutive seasons. The last time they did not win the regular season title was in 2006 which was won by Webster.
- Webster has won or tied for the regular season championship eight times, second most in SLIAC history only to Principia who has won 12 times.
- The all-time regular season series between Principia and Webster standst at 11-11-3.
- The last time the teams met was a regular season meeting in Elsah, Illinois on October 20, 2013. Webster walked away with a 1-0 win despite being outshot 23-7 in the game with the only goal coming from Kristin Montgomery just 10 minutes into the game.